Saturday 19 June 2010

How My Example Article Matches Generic Conventions

From evaluating various newspaper values (see above post) I would proberly categorize my example story to be an ‘unambiguity’ news value. This is because my example it is a short and simple story which could be appropriate enough to be draw attention to and put in a newspaper as well as it containing reference to beliefs and attitudes for which I have expressed by having personal quotes from the student members.

The sample story in the style of a typical newspaper article follows generic conventions in a number of ways. To begin with, the article starts off with a topic sentence, consisting of approximately 15-25 words; having 24 words matches this convention and shows I am representing a similar layout and structure of other articles.

Linking with structure, one way that I felt I could express generic conventions used in my example was by using the triangular structure theory which begins with the opening paragraph (mentioned above), leading onto a second and third paragraph developing detail about the situation and subject of the article. In my example, I have done this by expanding the depth of the article in each paragraph; from discussing what the students are being taught to then including quote snippets and evidence of the class’ reactions to their studies. For example one student mentioned they thought ‘television offers a visual explanation of the news, making it more reliable and trustworthy.’

The final paragraph usually ends with some form of additional padding, also known as background material which is relevant to the article subject to round of the article in a professional way. For example, in my article, I have concluded with what the class aim to achieve in the next few weeks. I feel this closing sentence of 14 words helps to emphasise the content and round of the article effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment